Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Small Heaven



I've been craving more time in my week to write. But I have a full life and a chronic time management disability, so writing more than my morning twenty minute journal entry does not happen with the regularity I had hoped for. I think about writing every day. And I have a long list of ideas. What I don't have are hours in the day that are not filled with other stuff.

Last Sunday at the Unitarian Society of SB annual book sale I came across a slim volume by Jane Ranney Rzepka called, A Small Heaven. It's a meditation manual, which means it is made up of short writings meant to be read and mulled over. Well, I was immediately drawn into this book. Jane Ranney Rzepka writes about ordinary, everyday experiences like funny questions her kids ask, the time she got locked in her attic, a trip to the zoo, a comment from a shoe salesman. She is a master of drawing meaning from these small stories, finding a kernel of wisdom or magic in an ordinary day. This is what I have been aspiring to do in my other blog http://www.perfectlyordinary-charla.blogspot.com/ , the one I never seem to have time to post on because of the afore mentioned full life and poor time management skills.

Did I mention that the writings in A Small Heaven are short? Most are only three or four paragraphs long. Hmm, I wondered, could I write three or four paragraphs once a week about the stuff of day to day life? Could I manage my time just the teensiest bit to make room for a short reflection on something small like a funny comment by my son, a walk with my dog or, I don't know, finding a slim volume of inspirational writing at a used book sale? 

I don't know. Let's see.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you can, and yes you should! You're a terrific writer and I always find something meaningful in what you have to say, whether it be brief or lengthy! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete