Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Dog's Life

Zeke after a hard day of backpacking in the Sierras
About this time of year I start to envy the dog. As I add twelve new things to my to do list, Zeke stretches, yawns and takes another nap. As I write yet another check to the kids' school for one more year-end activity, he crunches kibble and begs for treats. And as the kids and I frantically grab lunches, back packs, permission slips, and school projects, rushing out the door, he grapples with whether to take his morning nap on the couch or in the backyard sun.  Some mornings it's all I can do not to growl at him as I walk out the door, late again.

But when I get home from work he does a series of things that secure his place in the family: First he greets me with a full body wag. Believe me, no one else in the family is ever that happy to see me. (I recently told the kids Zeke was my favorite child.) After letting me put the groceries away or order the kids around a bit, he gives me a look that says, it's time for us to get outside. He waits patiently while I change my clothes and put on my walking shoes. As I reach for the leash, the full body wagging begins again. And then we are out the door. 

Zeke is a not stroll around the neighborhood on a leash kind of dog. He wants wide open, leash free spaces. He wants to run and get dirty. Most days we head down to the end of our street and up to the Ellwood Mesa, the beautiful open space that is our backyard. We walk along the bluffs looking for dolphins or whales. Well, I look for dolphins or whales. Zeke prefers rabbits, lizards, and fresh horse droppings. Sometimes we go down to the beach. As I breathe in the fresh air and feel my blood pressure drop, Zeke chases birds and runs through the waves. It's a bonus day for me if we catch a beautiful sunset. It's a bonus day for him if there's a dead seal to roll in. 

Today we drove to Kiwanis Meadows and walked the trail to the dam. This is our weekday trail walk. The trail is shaded by Oak trees, the stream crossings are gentle in May. People we met were smiling. Dogs were wagging. When we got to the dam we sat together, Zeke and I, looking out at the beautiful view. There were a pair of ducks in the water which he uncharacteristically left alone. A hawk circled above us and sparrows darted about. There were bees on the wildflowers and the evening sunlight made the mountains glow. And I thought, wow, am I the luckiest person in the world or what? For an hour or so I get to live a dog's life, reveling in the outdoors and letting Mother Nature work her magic on my body and soul. Thanks, pup. You've more than earned your keep. 


2 comments:

  1. After you park your car and before you can get out, does Zeke rummage behind the driver's seat for his tennis balls? (I'm used to that.) Does Zeke knock your glasses off while you're bending down to put on your walking shoes? (I'm used to that.) Does Zeke groan with anticipation on those days your car turns involuntarily down la Marina toward Shoreline Park? (I'm used to that.) Does Zeke go Medieval if the kite boarders are out? (I'll never get used to that.) You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. Thanks for reading.

      Delete