Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Certain About Uncertainty


"When we venture into the Mystery, 
we are entering the ground of the infinite with the powers of a finite mind. 
An awe-filled agnosticism is perhaps the better part of wisdom."

-- Rev. Marilyn Sewell

I do not spend a lot of time wondering about the existence of God. But I do spend time thinking about the Mystery. And by Mystery (with a capital M) I mean all of the big questions about our place in the universe rolled up together. I think about the Mystery, not because I need to figure it all out, but because it fills me with a deep sense of awe. And in that awe I find humility and peace. 

I say this not to convince my theist or my atheist friends to question their certainty, but rather to explain that being agnostic does not mean being confused. I find it a tremendous relief to let go of the need for answers to what I believe are unanswerable questions: Does God exist? If so, what is God? What happens when we die? Why are we here in the first place? To my thinking, it is hubris to claim that we have The Truth when we cannot possibly support that claim with evidence.

But what about faith? Faith is not about proof after all. It's about trust.

Faith is beautiful when it is open and accepting. When I can say, I have my faith and you have yours and they are both possible, that is beautiful. Faith that says, this is how I understand the big questions and this is how my neighbor understands them, and there is much to be learned from both is wise. But blind faith (or faith with blinders on), faith that is afraid to question or doubt, makes me very nervous. Faith that claims to have The Truth and refuses to acknowledge the truths (small t) of another faith is divisive and too often dangerous. Faith that says I am right and you are wrong has lead to far too much human suffering and senseless violence in human history.

I did a little on-line research into agnosticism and I like this definition by Austin Cline:

"Philosophically, agnosticism can be described as being based upon two separate principles. The first principle is epistemological in that it relies upon empirical and logical means for acquiring knowledge about the world. The second principle is moral in that it insists that we have an ethical duty not to assert claims for ideas which we cannot adequately support either through evidence or logic."

It sounds a little dry I know, but that's not how it feels to me. Because not knowing the answers opens the door for wonder. And wonder can be awe-inspiring. 


What I find really awe-inspiring are moments when I feel a deep sense of connection to something larger than myself. And if I am open, these moments happen a lot: When I am walking the dog on the beach, when I am with my Unitarian Universalist community, when I am hiking in the Sierras, when I am with family and friends, when I am singing, when a baby is born or someone I love dies, in times of sadness and joy. Any time I am truly present for my life I experience that connection. Is that God? I don't know. I don't have all the answers, but I love all the questions.

Let The Mystery Be
 by Iris Dement
The perfect agnostic hymn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaoR5m4L80


3 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your weekly posts (good job finding the time!!) Your writing style is so engaging and personal, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Courtney. Missing you at USSB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Charla. It's being open to the wonders, a recognition that the Mystery happened, and that we're all walking a path towards understanding that speaks to us individually. Being accepting of others' understanding, and knowing what is logic and requires evidence, should be enough to make us realize that no one can claim the Truth to the unanswerable questions we all ponder. But it doesn't lessen the wonders of the Mystery, or the appreciation of all that came before, is now, and will come later. Being "in the moment" is when I can feel the Spirit. Unfortunately, I don't live in the moment often enough. Thank you for the gentle reminder. Time to go for a dog walk in the woods.

    ReplyDelete