Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Retreat




“Sacred space and sacred time and something joyous to do is all we need. 
Almost anything then becomes a continuous and increasing joy.”

~Joseph Campbell

I woke up to the sound of the surf right outside my window this morning. I opened my eyes and looked out at the fog blanketing the beach, early morning surfers riding the waves, seagulls perched on the dock. I started a pot of coffee and took my dog, Zeke,  out on the deck, the fresh salty air waking up my sleepy senses. Zeke's nose worked hard to gather up all the scents of this new place as we wandered around in the damp morning. When we came back inside, the smell of fresh coffee greeted me, inviting me to pour myself a cup. I sat down and breathed in the peacefulness of this morning. 

Wow. 

As Anne Lamott says, Wow is a complete prayer.

I am spending the week in the guest apartment of a friend of mine, just me and Zeke, my laptop, my guitar, some recording equipment, and a lot of books. There are a few friends I hope to see, but mostly I'm here for some much needed solitude. I plan to write and read, hopefully record a couple of songs I've written, and maybe write a couple more. Zeke and I will take walks on the beach and watch the surfers. It will be time out of time. Sacred time.

This week long retreat is a belated 50th birthday gift to myself. And it is truly a gift. It is of course difficult for anyone with a job and a family to manage a week alone, but I think it's important to find that sacred time and space whenever we are able to, even if it's only an hour here and there. Too often our lives go by in a blur of activity. We need time to reflect like we need air to breathe. Reflection feeds our souls, inspires creativity, reminds us of all we have to be grateful for. Sacred time. I urge you to find a little today if you can.

Well, there's a guy about to power wash the deck outside. My morning shower will have to wait. The shower in this studio is pretty much open to the front window! That's OK though. Time for some breakfast and then Zeke and I will take our first beach walk of the day. Don't be surprised if you receive another "postcard" from me this week. Writing is one of my spiritual practices, after all. And sharing my thoughts with you is something that brings me "continuous and increasing joy."

Wow.

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed that your husband let you go for a week! Sounds like a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete